Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Toya Loong Kaya" With Lola

"Grandpa,
check it out
...your mom
is carrying
me on her
legs and we
are going up
and down...
kind of like
riding a
horsey....I
guess.......
she likes to
sing this old
Visayan song
....'Toya .....
Loong kaya...
tapay-tapay
nang laya....'
What does
that song
mean?"
"Well my
little chicken
empanada...
I think it
translates to
'Thelma......
oh Grandma,
you shop you shop too much laya..'
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's what it
means. Don't quote me okay?"
"Grandpa, how come Lola has bedsheets covering
everything? She got bedsheets covering the sofa,
bedsheets covering the chairs, and the artwork?
Is it because I'm visiting her this month?"
"Actually, my little cinnamon malasada, she's been
covering stuff ever since I was a small kid. We used
to have plastic on all of our stuff...so I guess using
bedsheets is an improvement. I think she does it is
so that stuffs don't wear out. "
"Grandpa, if we cover you with a bedsheet, will you
not wear out?"
"Every night I cover myself with a bedsheet, but
it doesn't seem to help."

No comments: