Thursday, September 27, 2007

"If You Want To Destroy My Sweater, Hold This Thread As I Walk Away...."

"Grandpa, what's your
most favorite song of
all time?"
"Well, it's hard to pick
just one. It's hard to
even pick a top ten.
Maybe I can name 100
songs that I like."
"Well, gray haired
orangatan, how do you
decide on them? Do you
go by melody, or lyrics
or a time that you were
in your life when the
song came out?"
"Well, my little asker
of questions...maybe it's
a little bit of all 3 of them
things. Like any James
Taylor song from the
70's means a lot to me
cuz of the time... and he
writes good melodies,
and his lyrics are often
genius. Your mom and
all your uncles and aunt
know all the lyrics to his
stuff. But I couldn't name
just one of his songs. But
I would say if I had to
pick one album, it would
probably be 'Gorilla'.
Any stuff from Kalapana,
C & K, Olomana, Gabby,
Peter Moon or Sunday
Manoa, that was all good
stuff. I'm not sure if any
of the stuff that's come
out recently can compare
with my music...Motown
from the 60's and 70's,
Beatles, that's what I call
music.... but by comparison,
I would say that the stuff
today is all crap."
"Well, Grandpa, you know
there is some good stuff
today."
"No...what good stuff are
you talking about?"
"I like it when you
or Uncle Troy and
Andrew or Aunty
Mahina play some
stuff on the guitar
or uke or mandolin.
Even if you're off like
you are right now...
Play me something whimsical, you old Visayan Ape."

No comments: