Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is Home

"Grandpa, do you know why I like the swap meet at Aloha Stadium?"
"No, my little macadamia nut...why do you like the swap meet?"
"Cuz you get to look at all da freaks walking around. Look over there,
some Aunty get about 5 or 6 fat kine Hawaiian bracelets but she get
broken kine slippahs. And over there get one guy's walking around
with a black Oakland Raider hoody sweater with the hood on his head,
but it's 80 degrees out here. And over there get one booth with some
Rastas playing Reggae music real loud but the next booth get some
Bookbooks playing Ilocano Christmas music the but the singer is
singing with a strong Flip accent."
"Well, Namaile....I wouldn't call them freaks."
"What would you call 'em den, you old chimpanzee from Igorot land?"
"I would just call 'em Local People. You know why I like the swap meet?
I like to look at all of 'em too. But I like to look at how they dress cuz
that's how I dress. And I like to listen to them talk, cuz it's home."

No comments: