Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"I Was There"

"Grandpa, you
used to go to
concerts back
in the 70's?"
"Um yah, I
remember
going to see
Kalapana,
C&K, Tower
of Power,
Olomana,
EWF and so
many good
bands back
then. Every once in a while, me and Grandma
will go watch 'em now...but you cannot beat their
shows back in the day. I mean, they may be
better musically or whatever today, but it's cool
that I was there when they were younger.
I remember Olomana's first show at Andrew's
Amphitheatre. They opened for another act, but
everybody could tell that they were gonna be
special. Had Jerry Santos, Robert Beaumont and
a Cello player. Anybody who calls themselves by
the name Olomana today cannot compare to the
Olomana I saw way back then. See....it's cool
when you can say that 'I was there'."
(Just like I was there when you were the opening act)

3 comments:

Papa Joe said...

If it was the same Andrews Olomona show I saw around '74 or '75, they opened for Leo Kottke.

IMHO, there was no Olomana after Beaumont...and there was no desire to ever hear another 12-string after Kottke tortured the audience with that mess. He must have been angry that night.

Three Pretty Girls said...

I remember this tall guy standing in front of me who kept yelling, "hana ho!" during the middle of the songs. Was that you?

Papa Joe said...

Naw...that was Melton Werts. I never teased my hair like that.